Sunday, April 17, 2011

Politically Correct? No Thank You

Anti-political and Anti-biased. Is there a word for that combination? Anti-politically correct just doesn't suffice.

For that matter I am against any discriminations, especially those religion or race based. So maybe I need to coin a new phrase ...one that means let people live their lives, don't judge them for it, make your own decisions for your life and don't apologize for it. Oh wait.. Dang.. There is a word for That.. It's called RESPECT.


Because of the way we treat each other.. Americans especially.. I will define this word for you. It appears we've lost our perspective here.

To feel or show deferential regard for;
To avoid violation of or interference in
The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
Willingness to show consideration

Okay. Now that we've defined the word can we talk about what it doesn't mean? It doesn't mean change your own faith, beliefs, or life for someone else. It doesn't mean "to agree" or to "convert".

I respect the fact that my oldest friend, Rebecca, is Jewish. I respect her faith, her morals, and her beliefs. Do I want to be Jewish? No. I'm a Christian by way of life, not just by religion. She feels the same about her way of life.

Do I expect her to apologize for her religion? No. Should she be ashamed to want to openly celebrate Chanukah?  Uncomfortable sharing her faith? Certainly not.

All of this politically correct nonsense has gone too far. When did it become necessary to involve politics and rules in order to show respect to each other? Why can we not do this on our own?

Newsflash for ya : you can call it Xmas or "Winter Holiday" you can rename them "spring spheres" if you must. But here's the deal.. It's still Christmas  and they are still Easter eggs.

You can insist we don't discuss our faith at work or pray in school if you'd like but she is still Jewish and I am still a Christian. She doesn't want me to change and I love her for who she is.

As children we would go to Temple on Friday and Church on Sunday...together. Not to convert one another but to be together and learn about one another. 28 years later? We are still the strongest of friends. Respect makes that possible.

We need to respect one another for who we are. Not force silence. Not expect apologies for our beliefs or our lives. Being politically correct is just flat out stupid. Teach information and respect. Be polite. Learn about each other. But don't apologize or be silent about your own faith or life. What a waste.

Here's what you can know about me:

*  I'm a Christian
 * I'm a woman
* I'm a sportswriter and a sports fan, even though I'm the only girl from a family of boys who don't watch sports.
* I used to be an abuse victim, this is part of me but will not define me.
* I have been divorced. God and I are still okay. He forgives me eve when I have trouble forgiving myself.
* I am incredibly sweet and some people hate that about me. They always assume it's fake, but it's just me. Ask my family, or my friends and they will agree.
* I was literally both barefoot and pregnant at my first wedding.
* I've made colossal mistakes
* I overuse the phrases Awesome, Dig it, and Cool Beans.
* I can't blow bubbles or whistle I hate the ACC. They are the anti-Christ conference.  Duke. Duke? Duke. Ugh. I also hate the Yankees.
* I talk too fast and too much. I also text too much too fast.
* I smacked a customer once . He deserved it.
* I've lost everything I've owned once
* "Jesus Freak" is one of my favorite songs. "What if I Stumble" is the other.
* I hate the phrase "Happy Holidays" and refuse to say it
* I have a low tolerance for lazy people at work. A very very low tolerance.
* I let my kids stay up way too late on weekends and let them play video games you probably won't let your kids play. I do draw the line, but not where you want me to.
* I've been playing the Violin since I was 8
* If you are mean to a Mexican person because they don't speak English well, I will be mean to you. I'm just sayin....
* I had a crush on Hal Mumme. I'm sorry, but it's true. I still love Jimmy Buffet because of him.
* I like to sew, crochet, paint, decorate cakes, and bake. My family calls me Martha Crocker..a craft loving Betty Crocker.
* I liked New Kids on the Block and still know the words to "Hanging tough" ( This is by far my most embarrassing confession)
* I've never been drunk or high. That's not my idea of a good time
*If you gave me 100,000 I would use it to buy a house to take in teenagers who need a safe home to be in. I do that now, but need more room. I love teens, they have my heart.
* I celebrate Christmas and Easter
* I'm not a classy dame like my former mother in law or someone to admire and emulate like my own mom. I'm a tomboy who loves her kids fiercely though.
* I would rather go to a ballgame than to the mall.
* I've broken hearts and have been broken by my life
* I loved Dawson's Creek. Their conversations remind me of my friends and I as teens.. Too smart and wordy for our own good. Yes.. Wordy.. Not worldly
* I'm better at 3am than 3pm. I'm more awake and hyper late.
* I've never dated someone outside my race.. Because only one time did anyone ever ask and I was unfortunately taken at the time. I didn't care what his color was. I think racist people are the most ignorant on earth. I never understood why color mattered?
* I cry every time I watch extreme home-makeover, Patch Adams, and Rudy
* I think that abortion is selfish above all things. I won't judge you personally, and I will not argue about this but it is never a baby's fault, no matter what the situation is. I've had to choose.
* I think Robert Redford will still be sexy at 102
* I am curious about your faith but will not necessarily share it.

This is me. I am me. I don't want to be you. I won't change for you. I will not apologize for what I believe, who I am, or who I am not.

4 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Very Well said :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I do love you so much. I think that one of the coolest things I have gotten from my time in the Masters in Social Work program is the need to be culturally competent. What I have basically taken away from this set of words is we need to make ourselves as familiar of other people and their belief systems as possible so that it makes us harder to judge them.
    We as little girls did not realize that by going to church and temple we were teaching each other cultural competence. I understand Christianity and the people that use it to cast judgment on me. I shock them when I am able to tell them I know the scripture states thou shalt not judge lest ye be judged.
    I love that you respect my life as a Jewish woman and even more that you respect me for who I am besides a Jew.
    I am so glad that I have only good friends in my life. That the people I love are all very culturally competent. This also means being aware that we all have biases and working to change ourselves when our biases affect our views of someone else. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh BTW on your page that says nicknames you have left a blue one and a troubling one off :p

    ReplyDelete